Thursday, August 1, 2013

Ignorance is Bliss...

It can be so frustrating at times with melanoma.  It's amazing what people say (or don't say) and how alone you can feel. Another reason why hubby and I are so glad we have each other in this small battle of ours. It truly does help to have that person (kind of like Meredith and Christine are each other's "person" on Grey's Anatomy). This is a learning journey for us as well, and I know it will make us more in tune to what others go through in the future.

 
We don't even feel like it's "real" melanoma after hearing and reading about so many others who are in a much tougher fight than we had. Tonight I showed hubby a link to Addison's Army https://www.facebook.com/Addisons.Army. This little girl is fighting with all she has. She is so young. It breaks my heart.

I try to stress to our girls that we are fortunate- ours was found early. We have been having lots of conversations about them, their habits, the importance of sun protection. It's so nice to have hubby's support and involvement in these conversations. We also talk about others who are fighting for their lives. I think it's important that they realize not everyone who has melanoma has the same story. We even pray together for those people who are fighting.

JoJo has band camp next week from 8-5. She will be taking sunscreen and a big hat. She is totally ok with it. Raye asked for (and I purchased today) a Columbia hat. We were at Dick's Sporting Goods to get JoJo a pair of the UV sleeves. Raye picked out this crazy hat with a flap on the back. She is a hoot. I'll post a picture of her wearing it- she loves it. And, if she loves it, she will wear it. JoJo wore the sleeves today while we played a little tennis. She was concerned that they would make her arms hot, but was pleasantly surprised that they did not. Whew...that is an easy solution for her to cover her arms.


Reds game- notice JoJo has a bandage over her upper cheek from the excision. Hers was not melanoma. Very thankful.

We also ran across some pictures today from our trip to Sand Key, FL in 2012. We were all sunburned. Boy, it was hard to look at. Both kids made comments stating that was the way "we used to live, we don't do that anymore." Gosh, how ignorant we all were back then. As hubby says, we lived like it wasn't going to happen to us.

We had lunch this week with two gals with whom I used to teach. We try to get together at least once in the summer. They were so gracious to me- asking if I needed more shade, was I sure I was ok, should they move another umbrella over? Very sweet.

We have been asked by others what we are doing to get this melanoma? Seriously, someone said that to me...Some people just don't understand how we both could have gotten it so close together. I'm sure there are some who won't even believe it's true.  He cannot wait to get it "cut out" and get on with the healing process.

I have done so much reading this summer. I'm reading some good books this week, too. One is by Joyce Meyer and it's about simplifying your life- I cannot recall the exact title. I need to do this- step back, relax, and stop sweating the small stuff. The other is by Joel Osteen called Every Day A Friday. A friend suggested reading it to prepare to go back to school where the environment is less than stellar. I really need to be a positive force in the building- for myself and my colleagues. The start of school marks the end of our summer, and the beginning of a new year. So, kind of like New Year's resolutions, we teachers get a new start every August. Time to set new goals and plan for the year. Add to that my new Master's program at Miami University- I'll be a busy gal!

Heading to the Columbus Zoo tomorrow, of course I'll take tons of photos. There is also a waterfall near Columbus that I hope we have time to stop at and hike to. This summer I have wanted to hike our area trails and was surprised to find so many waterfalls in Ohio. Who knew? So, as the year goes on, I'd like to see as many of those as we can.


Falls at Sharon Woods
 
I also want to walk that 5k race in August. (Oh crap, it's already August!)I'd like to do 1 per month if I can. There is a big one in September for Ovarian Cancer awareness that some of us from school are planning to do. My art teacher friend just signed up for the Columbus Half Marathon in October....that is a little too ambitious for me! But, she will do great!

Taking this journey one day at a time, while learning from past mistakes and looking forward to many healthy years to come.



Woodland Mound Park- it's a Charley Harper cardinal!
 
 
 

My scar today- over 3 months after surgery. The original site was no larger than those other moles that remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment