Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Am I Crazy?

Out and about today. See a friend who knows, and was shocked by, my story. When she asks how my summer's been, I tell her about Hubby's diagnosis. She (like everyone else) cannot believe it.

I then ask her if she has gone to get her skin checked (she is a tanning bed tanner and outdoor pool tanner) and tell her about the free monthly skin checks that Melanoma Know More coordinates.

She is not interested. She doesn't want to go, she knows they will find something. Thinks the free screenings are just so they can get you in and find things to take off. She will wait until "it needs to be fixed" and went on to say that she isn't "much for the preventative stuff." I told her that once melanoma reached a stage where you would physically feel something that would make you think you had something wrong that needed to be fixed, it was often too late to fix; early detection is key.

I knew at that moment that it didn't matter what else I said. My words were falling on ears that did not want to hear. Therefore, I dropped it.

Wow.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, gosh...Sometimes people just want to live in denial! It is frustrating to those of us who know just how serious melanoma really is. Would she ignore a lump in her breast?

    Thank you for your comment on my blog. You are so right in everything you said. It's extremely frustrating.

    Best wishes to you & that young lady you mentioned. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete