Monday, July 29, 2013

Sun Savvy at the Zoo...

So, I love our zoo here in Cincinnati. It's more than a zoo, don't ya know? It's also a world renowned botanical garden. Of course, I have spent many hours there (part of my original Master's degree program through Miami University actually held classes at the zoo). I've seen many cool things, learned from awesome people, and had many opportunities here. Yes, I actually got to get  into the elephant enclosure and touch the elephants. I've been behind the scenes of several exhibits and have even seen some secret animals that are not on display...When you grow up in Cincinnati, you just assume that everyone has a great zoo like ours! The zoo is situated smack dab in the middle of a city. But, you'd never know it once you are inside.



Photo by JoJo...the new Africa exhibit.
 

We try to go as often as we can. With the awesome weather we've had, we decided to head down there on Sunday morning. Yes, we skipped church...sorry. We like to get there at 9 when they open. We have found that is the best way to do it- less crowded.

So, because the sun was out (even though it was only in the low 60's) we all put on the sunscreen...and the hats...and the shades. Everyone is on board- even hubby, who usually is reluctant. A melanoma diagnosis will do that, ya know. I usually feel like a big dork with my big hat. I love my hat and I have the same exact style in several colors. But, I cannot lie; it makes me feel like a goon. This is because I'm usually the only one wearing a hat. Short chunky gal with large hat- you get the picture!



Sunday I was amazed. It was like an epiphany. As soon as we walked into the zoo, I started to notice all the other people who were putting sunscreen on themselves and their kids. Almost everyone had on a hat of some kind. It was amazing. People without hats were the minority. I was not alone. There were women with bigger hats than mine. Now, mind you there were very tanned women with hats on, too. But most of the folks we saw appeared to be trying to be very sun smart. I was happy to see all the little ones covered up as well. Lots of Coolibar wear out there. www.coolibar.com

This was encouraging to me. Being there, outside, in a sunny spot was tough. I remember feeling the sun on my neck (I was wearing a long sleeve top and long capri pants - I'm short, so even capri pants usually hit me at the ankle) and thinking, "I gotta get out of here, I can't be in this sun." It almost caused me to panic. I am reminded that I have to live my life. I had applied sunscreen multiple times, I wasn't in the full sun- there are many areas of shade as you walk the grounds- and, I am not a mole (the underground living kind, not the ones on your skin!). It is ok to be outside. I just have to be smart about it.

Hubby said to me recently that I'm the palest he's ever seen me in summer. This is our 19th summer. I saw a colleague of mine today who has a pool, and has apparently been living in it. She is very, very tanned. That used to be me. For a moment I envied her. But, it was short lived. I used to look like that- the browner, the better. I lived at the pool. But now, that is not my priority. My views are shifting. My opinion of what is healthy and attractive is changing. I love the attention that the media is giving to the celebrities who are not tan. I often wonder if I'm too tan. I don't mean to be tan, but I don't see myself as pale. I do have a darker skin tone naturally; I don't think I'll ever have that beautiful porcelain skin. But I no longer fear wearing skirts or shorts with pale legs.  At the beginning of summer I still thought that was not a good thing. It's changing.  I have seen all of the doctors at my dermatology office this summer- all 4 of them are female. They are all wearing skirts and dresses. And, they are all very pale.  And they look great. I didn't say anything to my colleague- this time.

As we venture one day closer to melanoma Wednesday, I want to take a moment to write about my people. My girls are so amazing. Both of them have embraced this new lifestyle without much complaint. Next week is band camp, and I worry about our JoJo. She burns easily; she will be out in the sun from 8-5 all week. She has assured me she will wear the sunscreen. I am sending her in a hat and I hope the director allows her to wear it. JoJo had an atypical mole excised in early June on her cheek by a wonderful plastic surgeon. It's healing nicely, but it's a reminder of what we need to do from here on out. Our RayeRaye, she is such a hoot. Today, she spurred yet another light bulb moment. She went out into the back yard to play with the neighbor kids. Raye is a sporty tomboy. She would play football if we allowed it. No, we play lacrosse instead. She was the first to express an interest in the UV sleeves. She wears hers all the time. I think they are an XXS. She loves them and thinks they make her look like a pro athlete. So, she puts on her sleeves and then puts sunscreen on the legs, shades, and her big floppy fishing hat.  Not 10 minutes into their playing a game of ball, I see the neighbor dad come out. He hands a hat to each of his kids and throws a bottle of sunscreen over the fence to them. I love it! RayeRaye is setting the bar for sun protection in the neighborhood!

These two are our main concern right now. We cannot help but wonder if the genetic link is in place.  That is a question we will ask on Wednesday.

My hubby is an amazing man. For almost 20 years now he has not wavered in his love for me. At all- ever. He has always worked hard to support us. The kids and I are his main focus. He would do anything for us. There is no doubt that we are loved.  He is everything to me, and I am fortunate to have him. I am thankful that he has chosen to stay beside me all these years. And, I am looking forward to many more years together to come. I hope that this melanoma business helps us to become closer and to make healthier choices in our lives for the long haul. It is scary. But it isn't as scary when you have a partner in it with you. And, man are we in it together.  (Love you, honey.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment