Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Really...you have to think about the brand of sunscreen??

Who knew? After my melanoma diagnosis in April, 2013, I kind of went into sunscreen craziness. I have gone over 40 years without sunscreen. How hard could it be to choose one? Back in the day, my idea of sunscreen was baby oil with iodine added to it. Shake well, apply, and bake.

Obviously, I paid for all that baking in April with my melanoma 1a diagnosis. And now, well, I am learning how to protect.  When I had my little surgery, a dear friend at work brought me a beach basket filled with very cool items. Magazines to read, a pretty plastic cup with lid and straw, a candle, and lots of sunscreen! Spray, lotion, and stick, oh my! My dermatologist and oncologist strongly suggested covering up (they have obviously not ever been outside on a hot Cincinnati summer day...) and wearing sunscreen daily. This is all new to me.

I spent a chunk of change on sunscreens and Walgreen's became my best friend. I think the gal who works there- and she is there every time I go- must think I'm crazy. Each time it's a different brand. She is super helpful and even offers me coupons. The biggest thing for me was the smell. The smell of most sunscreens turn my stomach. Yuck. I'm used to tanning oils that smell like the tropics. Pretty dark brown bottles. No more of that for us! So, I went on a search for good smelling, effective sunscreens. I found some.  And then I found this:  the EWG's (Environmental Working Group)website. 

 
 
Really- my brand is not rated well. Too many chemicals. (But man does it smell good!)  I also recently found and love, love, love a brand called Sun Bum. Pricey; available online only around here; but smells ever so good! I do not see that brand on the ratings but am looking into it further.
 
I've gathered from the site a few things:
 
*No sprays (my kids are not happy about this...)
 
*No retinyl palmitate (aka Vitamin A)
 
*No oxybenzone
 
*No super-high SPF's (oops, I bought SPF 100)
 
It's not easy finding a sunscreen without some of these ingredients, but I was thankful that I could find something that is readily available at Walgreen's! Whew! And it really doesn't smell. I'm going to further check the fine print of my Sun Bum, because I really love it. I hope it passes. 
 
In the meantime, check that site for sunscreen, makeup, lip balm, and moisturizers. You might be surprised at what you find!
 
Bottom line:  Love the skin you're in and protect it.  I wish I'd done that years ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment