Saturday, July 27, 2013

Getting Ready for Melanoma Wednesday

Yes, Hubby's initial appointment with the oncologist/surgeon is Wednesday. However, going into this one we are so much more prepared than when we went in for mine. We didn't have a clue back in April. Now we know what questions to ask and what the answers mean. I am pretty sure that Donna at the derm's office is tired of hearing from me this week, but she was very nice on the phone...

So, we are looking at 0.4mm depth; superficial spreading melanoma; no ulceration; 0/mm2 mitosis. (The oncologist was so excited that I knew what mitosis was at my appointment as I am a former science teacher...PMAT!)

This is all important info that you need. When I got the call on my melanoma in April, all they told me was the depth. I then went on to research, and didn't have the other information. The derm office said we would get all that at the oncologist/surgeon's office. So, when hubby got the call and all they gave him was the depth, I called the derm office to get the remainder of the scoop. Why don't they just give you all the scoop when they call? It's on the same paper. Argh....

Anyway, we are fortunate. According to my calculations (and I did not attend medical school...), we are looking at Stage 1A; wide excision surgery; no further treatment as long as there is no evidence of lymph node involvement and as long as the excised skin comes back clear.

So, that is what we will hope for. We will also hope for a surgery date very soon after Wednesday's appointment. Mine was a week after the appointment. We are hoping for at least that quickly. Then, back to the derm every 3 months.
 


I'm reminded of the trials others face. Two families in our school community have been hit hard this summer. One, a wife and mother of 3, our building nurse (who monitored me closely after my surgery and kept telling me my scar looked really good...), was diagnosed with liver cancer in June. One week after her surgery, she passed away. The other, a husband and father of 3 was seriously injured in an auto accident and is paralyzed from the waist down and recovering from 2 surgeries. He will then be sent to a rehab facility. Both families' lives have been forever changed. 

As my friend Kelly and I often say to each other when we hear of these types of things happening, "I have no problems." When you put it all in perspective, the things that sometimes consume me are really nothing in comparison to what other folks are handling. We are reminded frequently that we are fortunate.






No comments:

Post a Comment