Thursday, September 5, 2013

Causing Quite a Stir...

Well, not really, but generating some questions and odd looks. Yes, that's me wearing my hat around our campus. Yes, that's me applying sunscreen in my classroom before I head outside.

I got to meet a colleague's best friend, who lives in another part of Ohio today. She is a breast cancer survivor. My friend is an cervical cancer survivor. They were talking on the computer (I am still stuck in the 80's...I talk on the phone...) and I could see her face. She was like, why are you wearing a hat? My friend told her I was part of the cancer club...I had melanoma. Ah, she says. OK, I get it now. I'd just come in from a grueling walk with 2 pals. Grueling because it was hot out there on the track, it's black and it was sunny. And it was about 80 degrees. And I was wearing a navy blue shirt. No humidity, though. So, I wear the hat to walk over to Raye's school to pick her up, too.

I've had several people ask- what's with the hat? All you have to say is "melanoma" and everyone's like..."Oh..." then silence. "You wanna see my scar???"  "Uh, no, thanks..."

Chicken....  :)

Just registered today for the Ovarian Cancer awareness 5k here in town in a couple of weeks. Another colleague lost his mom to this disease, and he's put a team together. Yep, I'm in.

Your fight is my fight...  Cancer is a moron.

No comments:

Post a Comment